Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Cut some oomph from the pa-pa.

I have decided to drop the boost by lowering the settings on the waste gate. It has been difficult to accurately pin down the waste-gate pre-set but as best I can tell it is around 7-9 psi, or a little higher than listed for the car I removed it from. Could be they under report the numbers or that someone installed a higher pressure actuator to pick up some HP. Either way it is clearly too much for my old girl and contrary to my low pressure = low risk mantra. Don't get me wrong it was fun jabbing it, clearly hopping that little motor 40-50%. However it will only scoot for about 15 seconds before the carburetor bowl drains (boost is higher than the fuel pump) and even without a muffler I can hear the pinging. That is bad. The guts of the 134 are stout, I bet they would handle another 60 hp just fine but the complexity of the system to maintain it is daunting. At 4 psi of boost my risk meter stays happily in the green zone and all the bad stuff should go away. In order to hit my target I am referencing this forum's article: Toyotanation.com
With luck I will have time to cut it open and cut it down over thanksgiving.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t126750.html



No comments:

Post a Comment