Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Revisions

I have all but decided to flip the system around. If I keep going with the blow through I either have to de-tune the turbo even farther or find away to add measured amounts of fuel at boost. I have figured out several ways to do that, none of which are simple, elegant or foolproof. Also the carb is always pressurized, and how long will it stand up to that? On the other hand if I reverse the system and pull through the carb the fuel takes care of itself. Sure I will have to remote mount the turbo, remake throtel linkage and rebuild the turbo with carbon seals but in the long run it should work better with less risk. I do wish my turbo had bolt flanges on the pressure side rather than hoses because then I could bolt the carb on it directly. I wonder what those cost and how I would go about getting a new compressor side? If I have to rebuild the turbo anyway... don't tell the wife ok?

2 comments:

  1. Rising rate fuel pressure regulators are readily available, so you could run one of those with a high flow electric fuel pump (or mechanical, if there's one to fit the F Head). If you can adjust the main jet on the Solex, just bump it up a couple of sizes to compensate for increased air volume. Also I found a cool idea for pressurising the carb. Go to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/5780-blow-thru-turbo-carb-engine-how-do-you-do.html and look at the picture right down the bottom. It looks quite easy to fabricate as well. From what I've read, draw through setups are simpler for fuel supply, but the turbocharger has to be able to handle the fuel/air mixture, rather than just air. Sorry for the long post, and I don't want to swing you either way; draw through could easily be the better setup! But to think you've come this far and almost finished it... Whichever way you go, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, this guy has turbocharged his F Head, and his is where I draw my inspiration. If you can get in contact with him, he'd probably be able to help you out a lot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT5PMCr5O5M

    ReplyDelete