Thursday, September 23, 2010

The journy begins.


I rebuilt my 134ci F Head Jeep motor about two years ago. It only had 60,000 miles on it but as the poor thing sat for a decade the rings were stuck. At the time I debated with my father about forgetting the little F Head and putting in a small V6 from a Bronco II we had sitting around. Dad's vote was the Bronco, mine was the F Head. Call it nostalgia or being in too much of a hurry but the little 134 came out one weekend and was back in the next.

I should have gone for the V6.

The 134 is fun, makes a great noise but... There is a lot of good info about hopping up a 134 on a CJ3 page but rather than bothering with that I am putting in the turbo. Many have looked into it, and on youtube there is one a guy did running propane. Seems to be a crowd online that just pounce on anyone who broaches the subject. I suppose it might be because they have some new guy on the forum every month or so who wants his F head to turn 12 second quarters with no effort or money. I am not that person. I am doing this because I want a little more reliable power at the high altitudes I run. I want to see faces turn in confusion when people hear a 4cyl jeep 'spool up'. I want a cool project for the winter and I don't want to be like everyone else. I will put it all on here, good and bad, success and failure. I have a 1yo son so don't expect this to be instantaneous but it will be accomplished over the winter of 2010-11 one way or the other. Thanks for coming along for the ride.




No comments:

Post a Comment