Thursday, September 23, 2010

Part One: Scope of the project.

I foresee the following 'stages' on the project:

1. Connecting the unit to the current exhaust manifold.
-Building a nearly 160 degree u-bend with proper flanges on either end.
-Needs a good seal and be strong enough to help support the turbocharger's weight.
-Plan to use 1 7/8 pipe to help keep the velocity up.

2. Piping the exhaust from the turbo back down to the muffler.
-Pipe I have from the Saab makes an immediate 90 so I will have to cut and modify.
-Should not be difficult but it is a short, twisty run.

3. Connecting the oil and water lines
-Special banjo fittings on all but the oil drain. Plan to use auto tranny pressure line.
-Oil drain must be gravity and big, 1/2 or larger big. I plan to attach to the fuel pump blockout plate.
-Oil pressure is always an issue on the F head. Can I just tap the output of my remote oil filter and not return it to the top of the timing gears? I seem to remember they also get oil from inside.
-What kind of oil delay will I get out of the filter? Will it keep draining (and cooling) after shut down?
-Will the turbo live on such a miserly amount of oil (3-5 psi at hot idle) if it is also water cooled?
-Is my piss-poor oil pressure due to a worn pump or worn motor? Will I need a new or remote oil pump to keep the block happy?
-Will I need an oil cooler? I have the one from the Saab but it is big. Turbo's foam the oil they use, is the Jeep's smallish 4 quart oil pan big enough to let the foam settle or will I pump oil foam to the rest of the motor?

4. Carburetor: blow or suck?
-I plan to suck (lol) for reasons I will discuss later.

5. Pressure piping to intake.
-Need to copy carb base for a flange. Shorter is better but the hood must close. If I use metal pipe it will be heavy and have vibration issues, if rubber it has to survive gasoline. Can I build it all out of hard pipe or do I need rubber to isolate it? Can I built a hard pipe to enough tolerance to get a good seal?
-How big should the pipe be? Volume, velocity or convenience?

6. Vacuum piping to air filter.
-The suck side. This is the most cramped component. Shorter pipe is better but it might have to be on the other side of the engine bay. Also as a suck system I need to avoid fuel pooling.

7. Building brackets to support everything to the motor so the whole mess doesn't rip off.
-Attaching the turbo will be easy with a nice tab all set for attachment at the top and a firm attachment to the manifold at the bottom. I worry about having the suction side hanging off the unit. Can I mount the carb to the fender or will body movement pull it apart? What if I stick it farther off the intake manifold so all I have to do is extend the current throttle linkage? That sets up some long and complicated piping. Figure I need to place the turbo first and work around it to see what is best.

8. Replace motor with a small V6 after blowing it up.
-Lets hope I can skip this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment