Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Parts!

The last of the mail order parts arrived yesterday. The largest buy for this whole build was a new JC W carburetor. It wasn't needed because of the turbo but because of my old worn out carb. Even after a rebuild the old carb just had too many worn internal passages to work properly. Bad flooding and air/fuel with no effect on adjustment. Imagine my surprise when instead of the solodex I ordered the box contains a very new modern carb with a 2 inch manifold adapter/riser. Much better for my purposes than a new solodex. Both the old carter and the solodex run about 2-3psi of fuel pump pressure I hope the new one can handle much higher. This means no regulator for me. Also because I am making my own mounting plate I can pull the riser off and get the carb that much closer to the turo inlet. This will help with the atomization, lower the chance of gas pooling and help keep the carb warm because I think cold temp icing is going to be a problem. If the suck-system plan fails I can bolt the carb back on with the adapter and tap it for the dial-a-jet to compensate for increased fuel needs with boost. Because of the added complexity of the carb mounting I bet I end up just bolting it on to see how it works.









The other goodie is a box of 10 random bends from a muffler factory. They are mistakes or over runs, all of the same diameter. Now I can build the various exhaust components with the twists and turns I want rather than trying to work with bends cut from salvaged pipe. I am writing this at lunch but hope to have pictures of everything soon.




Total investment so far is about $150 but $100 of that was in parts I planned to buy regardless. Still need to buy some hose and a fitting or two but for the most part the rest is free.


No comments:

Post a Comment