Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Updates and info




Been spending some time building various mounting rings for the exhaust system in preparation for an attempted install this weekend. Have decided to try to run the system in a push mode rather than pull. The new carb has the foam floats, I think, so what would be the harm in trying? If it is failure and blows gas everywhere then I will go back to plan A but if it doesn't, not having to relocate the carb and install carbon seals in the turbo is a plus. Bedsides I am excited to hear it. Going to see if it will run with out injecting additional fuel at first. Will have to keep an eye on the temps and an ear out for detonation. The boost I plan to run is so moderate I hope to get away with it (at least for testing) where the tuner guys would not. Have learned that the turbo I have is part of Saab's low pressure system with a max boost of about 5.5 psi. That works for me, remember moderate reliable power increase is the name of this game. I was shooting for about 4 psi but I think I can adjust it down some. No need to scatter the poor 134 F head in the woods some place. I have mapped out the exhaust routing but it will need some heat shields. Building a mounting bracket is going to be tricky as the side of the block is depressingly clean of strong bolt points. I did drill out and weld a fitting to the fuel pump block-out plate so that is done. I plan on using 1/4 air pressure line for the water cooling. I know it will take the pressure, it should take the heat and antifreeze shouldn't bother it. I can run without the cooling if I am careful so I could get it home in case of failure. So close I can hear it spooling now. Very excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment